Monday 18 April 2011

LFJ 847W rides again!




To my personal delight, ex-Torpoint Bristol VR, LFJ 847W took to the rally circuit yesterday after nearly 4 years away from the scene. What a spectacle to see her out in all her glory, retaining her Barbie fades, which personally, I always thought looked good on a VR! I stepped aboard her for the first time in nearly 6 years for a trip to St Just, in the very capable hands of Terry Bennett, and what a difference having a good driver can make to a bus! She was, understandably, never driven particularly well when I used to catch her on many a morning, on my run down to Cremyll on the way to school. As the video illustrates, she sounds utterly fantastic, pounding through the streets of Marazion. The incredible noise is down to her modified exhaust system, and re-conditioned engine she received in 2003, still being comparatively new to many VRs. It really was a trip down memory lane. I know many of us complain when the general public comment "Oh I used to get one of these to school" and the like, but really, that is where the memories are imprinted. Certainly for me, it was having a VR on the ride to school each morning that first captured my attention, and if it weren't for her and the rest of the batch, I wouldn't be writing this today! Its funny the tiny little details you can remember on a bus like that, each VR having its own stories to tell. She may have been the only VR I've ever broken down on, but she is certainly up there with the best of them, and after yesterday's performance, may have crept up to pole position in my league table for VRs! 


No comments: